Vegan Hungarian Goulash
Goulash is a favorite fall and winter meal. We enjoyed this one made with tempeh tonight for our supper.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. tempeh, cut into large bite sized chinks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1-2 red bell peppers
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup vegetable bouillon
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cut the carrots.
- Slice the onion and mince the garlic.
- De-seed the bell peppers and cut.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into large bite sized pieces.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the bell pepper pieces and saute.
- Once the peppers begin to soften, add the carrot pieces.
- Next add the sliced onions.
- Stir well to mix.
- Add the cup of vegetable bouillon and then the potatoes.
- Add the minced garlic and the can of tomatoes.
- Add the Hungarian paprika and the sauerkraut.
- Gently mix the vegetables.
- Place a lid on the pot and turn down to simmer.
- Cut the tempeh into bite-sized pieces.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- Heat the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan.
- When the oil is hot add the tempeh pieces.
- Brown the tempeh on both sides.
- When the tempeh is browned, remove from the frying pan and add to the goulash.
- Place the sliced mushrooms in the frying pan and lightly brown on other sides.
- When the mushrooms are done, add to the goulash.
- Add the red wine to the goulash and season with salt and pepper.
- Replace the lid and allow the vegetables to cook until soft.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.