Risotto with Red Kuri Squash and Spinach
This makes a very nice meal. It is light yet filling. Served with a mixed salad and whole grain bread it makes a very satisfying fall dinner.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 medium red kuri squash (Hokkaido )
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder
- 2 cups baby spinach, washed
- Wash the red kuri squash and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Discard the stem and seeds (or save the seeds to plant for next years garden).
- De-seed and cut the yellow bell pepper.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the red kuri pieces and sauté until the begin to soften.
- When the red kuri pieces begin to soften, add the bell pepper pieces and the onions.
- As the onions become glassy, add the risotto rice
- Add 2 cups of water and the vegetable bouillon powder.
- Add the minced garlic.
- Stir the risotto often.
- As the rice absorbs the liquid, you will probably need to add 1 more cup of water.
- When the rice has become soft and the liquid absorbed, add the spinach and gently mix into the risotto.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the spinach has wilted the meal is ready to be served.