Spicy Lentil and Vegan Sausage Stew
Autumn has arrived. Nights are cooler, days are blustery and the leaves are falling. This calls for good hearty stews. This lentil stew recipe makes a lot, and tastes great the 2nd day as well.
Serving Size: 6
- 1 cup lentils (dry), soaked for 4 hours (or overnight)
- 4-6 links vegan sausages
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 cups water, more if needed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 2-4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 4-6 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- splash liquid smoke, optional but nice
- splash Sriracha sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the vegan sausage links into bite sized pieces.
- Chop the onion.
- Peel and cut the carrots.
- Peel and cut the potatoes
- Slice the mushrooms
- Heat the oil in the bottom of a large soup pot.
- Add the sausages and cook until lightly brown on the sides.
- Remove from the pot and place in a dish to await later use.
- Add the carrots to the oil and sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add the onions and continue cooking until the onions are glassy.
- Add the water and vegetable bouillon powder.
- Add the potatoes and lentils.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then turn down to a rolling simmer.
- Cook until the vegetables and lentils are soft.
- Stir from time to time and add water if needed.
- Add the mushrooms and can of crushed tomatoes. Stir to mix well.
- Add a splash of liquid smoke and Sriracha sauce
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Shortly before serving add the vegan sausages pieces to re-warm.
- Serve hot in bowls.
This could also be made in a slow cooker.