Spicy Vegan Parmesan Walnuts
These spicy walnuts are really tasty. They are a great and healthy vegan alternative to store bough snacks. They are not really a “hot” spicy unless you add extra cayenne. They taste great and are easy to make.
Yield: 1½ cups
- 8 ounces walnuts, shelled
- 4 ounces vegan Parmesan*
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1-2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-2 pinches cayenne powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons aquafaba
- Have your walnut pieces prepared (shelled).
- Preheat the oven to 120 C (250 F) and place a sheet of baking parchment on a cookie sheet
- Mix your vegan Parmesan and add the other ingredients for the spicy walnut flavoring.
- Beat the aquafaba until it is light and airy and can hold some peaks. It does not need to be really stiff though.
- Pour the beaten aquafaba over the walnuts and mix well so that each nut os covered.
- Add in the Parmesan mixture and again, toss and mix well so each nut is covered with the spicy mixture.
- Spread the nuts on the baking parchment. Spread the nuts thinly enough that they don’t touch one another or are not piled on top of each other.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven, allow to cool and place in an airtight container.
* I make mine from nut flour; almond, hazelnut or walnut plus nutritional yeast, a pinch of salt, dry mustard, nutmeg, garlic powder and onion powder.