Tortillas with Winter Purslane, Lentils, Walnuts and Salsa
Winter purslane ( also known as miner’s lettuce, Indian lettuce, spring beauty) is one of the few green salad vegetables that can take the cold temperatures. It is very healthy and has a mild flavor. It makes a very nice salad and we enjoyed it on these tortillas.
Serving Size: 4
- 4 flour tortillas
- 4 cups winter purslane, washed and large stems removed
- ½-¾ cups walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- splash lemon juice
- 2 cups lentils, cooked, drained
- splash olive oil
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon taco seasonings
- salt to taste
- splash chili sauce
- 1 avocado, pealed and cut in bite sized chunks
- ½-¾ cup non-dairy chees
- To make the salsa:
- Place the contents of the can of crushed tomatoes in a medium sized bowl.
- Chop the onion, mince the garlic and add to the tomatoes.
- Add the lime juice, taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and season to taste.
- Clean the purslane and remove the big stems.
- Place the purslane in a bowl.
- Mix a splash of lemon juice with a tablespoon of olive oil and pour over the purslane.
- Gently mix to cover the the leaves evenly.
- Drain the cooked lentils.
- Toast the walnuts in a dry frying pan.
- Allow to cool slightly, then roughly chop.
- Lightly warm the flour tortillas in a dry frying pan.
- Place one on each plate.
- Spread a generous tablespoon of the salsa on the flour tortilla.
- Place a handful of the purslane on each tortilla.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of lentils over the purslane.
- And then a few walnuts over the top.
- Peel an avocado and chop into bite sized pieces. Add a few pieces on top of each tortilla.
- Add some grated non-dairy cheese on top of the tortilla and serve.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.