Pasta with Brussels Sprouts and Walnut Sauce
This walnut sauce is a vegan adaptation from a traditional Italian recipe. We found it to be delicious. There was also enough sauce left over to use over cauliflower with was also tasty.
Serving Size: 4
for the walnut sauce:
- 1¼ cups walnuts, shelled
- 1 slice bread
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- pinch white pepper (or black)
- small splash hot chili sauce
- water if needed
for the meal:
- 1 pound pasta (farfalle, penne, spirelli )
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- small handful parsley, chopped
- Place the walnuts in water and allow to soak.
- In a second bowl, place the non-dairy milk. Tear the bread into pieces and place in the milk to soak up the milk and become soft.
- Gather the other sauce ingredients and fit your food processor with the S blade to puree the walnuts and bread.
- Drain the water from the walnuts and place the walnuts in the food processor. Puree the walnuts to a smooth consistency.
- Add the soaked bread and the olive oil. Puree once again to create a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients: nutritional yeast, mustard powder, salt pepper, chili sauce etc.
- Puree all add water if it is too thick. Season to taste.
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts, remove older outside leaves and trim the hard end. Slice the Brussels sprouts in ½ lengthwise.
- I prefer to slightly steam the Brussels sprouts, then brown in a pan. You can also roast them in the oven until lightly brown and softened to al dente.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook the pasta al dente.
- Remove the walnut sauce from the food processor and place in a sauce pan.
- Warm, the walnut sauce, stirring often. You may need to add water if it becomes too thick
- Keep 1 cup of the water that the pasta has cooked in and drain the rest from the pasta.
- Add ½ cup of the pasta water to the walnut sauce.
- Add ¾ cup of the walnut sauce to the pasta and stir to mix well.
- Add most of the Brussels sprouts to the pasta, saving a few as garnish for the top.
- Place the pasta and Brussels sprouts on individual plates or bowls and sprinkle some chopped parsley on top to garnish serve immediately.