Pasta with Brussels Sprouts and Walnut Sauce
This walnut sauce is a vegan adaptation from a traditional Italian recipe. We found it to be delicious. There was also enough sauce left over to use over cauliflower with was also tasty.
Serving Size: 4
for the walnut sauce:
- 1¼ cups walnuts, shelled
- 1 slice bread
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- pinch white pepper (or black)
- small splash hot chili sauce
- water if needed
for the meal:
- 1 pound pasta (farfalle, penne, spirelli )
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- small handful parsley, chopped
- Place the walnuts in water and allow to soak.
- In a second bowl, place the non-dairy milk. Tear the bread into pieces and place in the milk to soak up the milk and become soft.
- Gather the other sauce ingredients and fit your food processor with the S blade to puree the walnuts and bread.
- Drain the water from the walnuts and place the walnuts in the food processor. Puree the walnuts to a smooth consistency.
- Add the soaked bread and the olive oil. Puree once again to create a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients: nutritional yeast, mustard powder, salt pepper, chili sauce etc.
- Puree all add water if it is too thick. Season to taste.
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts, remove older outside leaves and trim the hard end. Slice the Brussels sprouts in ½ lengthwise.
- I prefer to slightly steam the Brussels sprouts, then brown in a pan. You can also roast them in the oven until lightly brown and softened to al dente.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook the pasta al dente.
- Remove the walnut sauce from the food processor and place in a sauce pan.
- Warm, the walnut sauce, stirring often. You may need to add water if it becomes too thick
- Keep 1 cup of the water that the pasta has cooked in and drain the rest from the pasta.
- Add ½ cup of the pasta water to the walnut sauce.
- Add ¾ cup of the walnut sauce to the pasta and stir to mix well.
- Add most of the Brussels sprouts to the pasta, saving a few as garnish for the top.
- Place the pasta and Brussels sprouts on individual plates or bowls and sprinkle some chopped parsley on top to garnish serve immediately.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.