Vegan Winter Casserole with Apples, Winter Squash and Chickun
We really enjoyed this casserole. It is slightly sweet from the apples but it is also a hearty and filling main meal.
Serving Size: 4
creamy cheesy pumpkin sauce:
- 1½ cups pumpkin puree (winter squash)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup dry mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼-⅓ cups vegetable bouillon
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
for the casserole:
- 3 cups pumpkin (winter squash), cubed and steamed
- 2 apples, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, about 1.2 cup chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 8 ounces vegan soy protein pieces, ‘chickun’-style
- handful panko bread crumbs
- handful non-dairy cheese, shredded
- rosemary sprigs as garnish
- margarine or spray cooking oil
- Begin by making the sauce:
- Measure 1½ cups pumpkin (winter squash) puree. Either from a can or by making it yourself from scratch by steaming chopped winter squash then using a staff mixer or food processor.
- Add the nutritional yeast, mustard powder, thyme and nutmeg.
- Puree the mixture.
- Depending on the thickness of your puree add ¼-⅓ cup of vegetable bouillon to make the sauce.
- Add 1 teaspoon cornstarch and mix well.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- For the casserole:
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 F or 220 C.
- Prepare 3 cups of winter squash (pumpkin). If using an organic red kuri squash you can leave the skin on, if using a butternut or other type squash, remove the skin, de-seed and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Steam the prepared pieces a dente.
- Remove from the steam and set aside to use later.
- Chop the red onion and bell pepper.
- Drain the can of chickpeas (reserve the liquid aquafaba to use for another recipe).
- Core and chop the apples.
- Using margarine or spry cooking oil, grease the baking dish.
- Place all the ingredients including the chicken pieces in the baking dish and lightly mix to combine evenly.
- Pour the sauce over the mixture and gently mix to cover the ingredients with the sauce.
- Sprinkle a handful of panic or other breadcrumbs over the top of the casserole.
- Add shredded non-dairy cheese over the top.
- Place the lid on the casserole dish and place in the pre-heated oven to bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when done, add the rosemary leaves as garnish and allow the casserole to cool slightly before serving.