Beta carotene soup with green pea dumplings
A lovely vegetable broth with golden vegetables and bright green dumplings. It is somewhat sweet and full of vitamins.
Serving Size: 4
for the pea dumplings
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fat (vegan margarine)
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 scallion, white and green leaves
- 7-8 fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup warmed soy milk
for the soup
- 1 scallion (white and green parts, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 large sweet potato or yam, chopped in bite sized pieces
- 150 grams butternut squash or pumpkin, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 – 1.5 liter water
- Using a big pot, bring the water, bouillon and cut up vegetables to a boil, and then turn the heat down to simmer.
- The vegetables should be sufficiently cooked in 15- 20 minutes.
- I do not puree this soup, but rather enjoy the clear consumer of vegetables with the nice pieces of vegetables.
- Meanwhile make the pea dumplings.
- Ten minutes before serving put the dumplings into the soup broth and cook.
- Serve a hearty bowl of soup to each person with 2 lovely floating dumplings.
Making the dumplings:
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl
- In a 2nd bow, combine, the peas, chopped scallion, mint leaves and margarine.
- Using a staff mixer or blender, puree these ingredients and add the soy milk to make a paste.
- Shortly before serving the soup, combine the wet pea mixture with the dry ingredients .
- Mix only enough to moisten.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot soup and cook for 10 minutes.
I saw the recipe for pea dumplings at the Brownie Points blog. This recipe was easy to adjust to be vegan and it is delicious!