Spicy Minestrone Soup
This is a delicious soup especially nice on a cold rainy day.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 qt. water
- 1 can small kidney beans or chickpeas
- various fresh veggies including carrots, zucchini, green beans, wax beans, potatoes, peas, cabbage, okra and/or turnips
- 2/3 tsp. basil
- 2/3 tsp. oregano
- 2/3 tsp. paprika
- 2/3 tsp. rosemary
- 1 can small tomato paste
- 1 can lg. stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pasta, (spirals bows, shells)
- lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- Using a large pot, sauté the celery in the olive oil.
- Ad the onion and carrot pieces and saute until they are soft.
- Wash and cut all vegetables in bite size pieces, add them to the pot.
- Add water and stewed tomatoes salt pepper and herbs.
- Simmer for 30-45 min.
- Add tomato paste and a bit f water if the soup seems too thick.
- Add the pasta and cook until pasta is soft.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and tabasco and lemon juice.
- Serve with a lovely crusty bread.
- If you have soy parmesan cheese, you can sprinkle a bit on top as you serve.
Using fresh herbs for this soup really makes a difference. This soup tastes nice with a light fruit salad.