Vegan Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
A cheddar type sauce with a touch of Dijon mustard baked in the oven to a nice crispy texture.
Serving Size: 2
- 1-2 cup vegan cheddar sauce (see below)
- 1 & 2/3 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1-2 slices day old bread
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for the baking dish
- optional dried bread crumbs for the top
for the vegan cheddar sauce:
- 2 medium carrots, washed peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- dash cayenne (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- pinch sugar (optional)
to make the vegan cheddar sauce:
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots and place in a small saucepan with water that is 1/2 inch above the level of carrots.
- Cook until they are soft.
- Puree the carrots.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well and return to the stove to cook until thick and creamy.
- Season to taste with additional salt, cayenne or mustard.
to make the macaroni and cheese:
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- Add the macaroni and cook until soft.
- Make the vegan cheddar sauce.
- When the macaroni is cooked, remove from the heat, drain the liquid off and place in a large owl.
- Pour the vegan cheddar sauce over the macaroni and mix well.
- Cut the bread slices in small cubes and add to the macaroni.
- Season to taste. You may want to add a bit more mustard and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F / 177 C.
- Oil an oven-proof baking dish.
- Put the macaroni mixture in the baking dish.
- If you wish, sprinkle dried bread crumbs on top of the macaroni for a crispy topping.
- Bake the macaroni for 20-35 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top.
This recipe offers a nice serving for 4 as a side dish, or 2 as part of a main meal. We served it with a vegan omelet with sauteed fresh spinach as filling, using Vegan Dad’s omelet recipe.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.