Vegan Hot Dog, Potato, Pea Dinner with a Cheesy Sauce
This turned out to be a really great meal. It’s been very cold here, so a good hearty meal was appreciated.
Serving Size: 4
for the cheesy sauce:
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 cup winter squash pieces*
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons sauerkraut juice
- 1 heaping teaspoon mustard
- pinch black pepper
- splash chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch salt, if needed
for the meal:
- 5-6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in bite sized chunks
- 1 (6-8 ounce) package vegan hot dogs, cut into rounds
- 1½ cups peas (frozen)
- ½ cup non-dairy cheese, shredded
- Begin by making the cheesy sauce:
- Peel the carrots and cut into rounds.
- Place them in a saucepan
- De-seed and cut the winter squash into cubes and add to the carrots.
- Cover the vegetables with water, bring top a boil and cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Keep an eye on the water level as you don’t want the veggies to scorch.
- When the carrots and squash are soft, pour most of any excess liquid into a cup to use as needed, puree. (I use an immersion blender.
- Add the nutritional yeast, sauerkraut juice, mustard, and Tabasco.
- Once again puree to mix well.
- Season to taste with salt or pepper if needed. You should have a smooth “pourable” sauce. If not perhaps add some of the cooking water from the carrots and squash.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into bite sized pieces. I usually steam them as it is quicker, they retain more vitamins and uses less oil, but you could also pan-fry them.
- Pre-heat the oven to 395°F/200°C.
- Melt the margarine in a large frying pan (I use a cast iron pan).
- Place the cut up hot dog pieces in the pan and lightly brown them.Add the potato pieces and the peas.
- Stir well to ensure all the pieces are evenly cooked.
- At last add the cheesy sauce and mix to cover all of the meal evenly.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the shredded non-dairy cheese over the top and place in the pre-heated oven for 3-5 minutes to melt the cheese.
* The winter squash pieces add an extra smooth, creaminess to the sauce. If it is not on hand or convent, then use 2 more carrots instead.