Vegan apple cheesecake with caramel sauce
This elegant desert is much healthier than it looks or tastes, thankfully so. The fall flavors of apple and cinnamon enhance this lovely cheesecake while the caramel sauce lends its warm sweet flavor. A very tasty dish, especially in the fall.
Serving Size: 2
- 2 pieces frozen vegan puff pastry, thawed
For the cheesecake filling:
- 2 apple cut in 1/2″ pieces
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tbs. cornstarch
- 1 tbs. brown sugar
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese or Tofutti
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 2 tbs. powdered sugar
- pinch cinnamon
- 1/4 cup semolina flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the caramel sauce:
- 1 tbs. vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbs. soy milk
- Thaw the puff pastry and roll it out so that it is large enough to fit inside an individual sized spring form.
- Spray the spring forms with oil.
- Place 1 piece of puff pastry in each spring form. Pierce the bottom of the pastry with a fork in many places so that it does not puff up.
- In a small saucepan, put the apple juice and dissolve the cornstarch.
- Peel the 2 apples and cut in small pieces, them directly into the apple juice.
- Heat the apple mixture until it becomes thick.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F / 190 C.
- While waiting for the apple mixture to cool.
- Make the soy “cream cheese” (see apple soy cream cheese recipe) or use Tofutti.
- Peel the 3rd apple and grate it into the soy cream cheese.
- Add the cinnamon sugar and vanilla.
- Once the apples are cooled, stir them into the filling mixture along with their juices.
- Add 1/4 cup of semolina flour to thicken the mixture and insure a “cheesecake” texture when cooked.
- Spoon the filling into the puff pastry,
- Brush a little melted margarine across the top and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and optionally decorate with a few slices of apple.
- Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cheesecakes when golden brown and allow to cool.
- When cooled, remove from the spring form and place on a plate or shallow blow.
- Serve cooled with the warm caramel sauce.
To make the caramel sauce:
- Melt the vegan margarine on medium heat and stir the brown sugar in.
- Stir until it is one blob, then take off the heat and whisk in the soy milk.
- While still hot and bubbly, pour over the apple cheesecake.